Understanding the significance of SEO in Digital Marketing
Updated on: 2 November 2018
In any business, marketing is an essential process that promotes your brand together with the products or services you provide. To gain customers and make profits, you have to attract your target customer base using strategies that appeal to them, allowing their patronage.
In Digital Marketing, having a strong SEO strategy means you’re able to position your company or brand at the top of that particular industry’s hierarchy effectively and consistently, enabling you to be the first choice for prospective customers.
But, what is SEO exactly and how does it function? Why is having Digital Marketing agencies in Singapore who are proficient in SEO strategies, significant for your business to grasp a foothold among many other competitors?
We’ll answer those questions below.
What is Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimisation or SEO for short is the process of creating and refining a website so that it ranks highest in any search engine’s SERPs. Its inherent philosophy is to holistically attract quality traffic who have an interest in the products or services a business provides. The traffic that is garnered as a result is considered as ‘organic’ traffic, implying that they were not paid for.
Some factors that drive on-page SEO include producing quality content with high-value keywords, with special attention given to keyword placements, meta descriptions, title tags, and more. For off-page SEO, brands can develop appealing strategies to attract backlinks through the promotion of content across social media, increasing organic traffic and subsequently, improving the SERP ranking.
How does SEO work?
Search Engines such as Google uses complex software that ‘crawls’ a web page’s content to identify key SEO elements that answer a query. Some of these elements include website URLs, page content, meta tags, and more.
Search engine software works in a cycle to identify SEO elements; this cycle involves a few steps:
- Crawling – A search engine’s software visits thousands of websites to collect information regarding various queries and for tracking purposes.
- Indexing – After crawling is completed, the software stores all the relevant information in a massive database, allowing efficient retrieval when a related search string or keyword is inputted.
- Ranking – The search engine processes and measures the relevance of all the stored web pages by comparing the presence of keywords used in those pages.
- Algorithms – Different search engines use algorithms that have specific tasks to target different aspects of a website such as its meta tags and keyword density.
- Retrieval – Finally, the search engine will retrieve the most relevant web pages when a query is made, and the ones that are most SEO-optimised will then be ranked highly in that search engine’s SERPs.
Why is SEO important in Digital Marketing?
As Digital marketing in Singapore is becoming the new contemporary marketing method, SEO is a critical component that is needed to help sustain visibility, relevance, and consistent revenue. The digital ecosystem is rapidly becoming an essential part of attracting sales for almost every industry; therefore, ensuring a strong presence online allows a business to profit immensely.
Utilising SEO is essential for digital marketing success as it allows a business to constantly be updated with new search engine trends, algorithms and online customer behaviours, enabling them to optimise their websites to fit the ever-changing online business landscape.