How can a legitimate business compete online?
Updated on: 14 September 2013
This video talks about how a legitimate business can compete online with other sites. Matt Cutts discussed how it is difficult for businesses to get high rankings because Google have other criteria in ranking these websites and cannot emphasise businesses with actual content from those that uses SEO, keywords, and other conventional tools to improve their ranking. Meanwhile, he discussed alternative ways for the business owners to market their legitimate business which do not include internet.
The video highlight the following points:
- The internet a universal level playing field where anyone can take advantage of. It gives opportunities to businesses and it is important to grab the opportunity and get an edge over competitors who do not use such instrument.
- Google cannot show information therefore does not rank any topics that are not available in the web. Meanwhile, Google cannot identify the reputable sources because their rankings depend on what the people are talking about online.
- There are a lot of bad legitimate business websites in the world. Most of them have ugly chains of redirects to 404 pages. These kinds of sites owned by legitimate businessmen do not rank in Google.
- It is advisable for business with more resources to consider another way to market the business which does not include the internet such as sponsorship of events and other marketing activities.
- Success and reputation in the real world does not necessarily reflect the same in the online world. Even though the site is big, it does not mean that it deserves to rank.
In order to achieve better ranking, you should:
- Assure that the website does not suck which means that the links should be clean and there should be a proper usage of Google ranking techniques.
- Keep the websites compatible with mobile phones so that more and more people can access the site unlike the bad sites which are entirely flash that gives very hard time to mobile users.
- Create the sites as navigational as possible and add several interactive features with the customers like mailing-lists.
- Provide high quality information and apply several techniques that webmasters use to improve their ranking such as keywords, links, graphics, etc.